Do you have trouble getting motivated? Do you have to push yourself to get out of bed, go to work, to socialize? Do you spend a lot of time in front of the TV or surfing the net?
Many people who come to my Toronto counselling office complain of feeling unmotivated. They will have seen their family doctor, but everything checks out as normal. So they just can’t figure it out. Often, they will tell me that they used to have lots of energy. They had hobbies or interests or sports that they loved to do. But now, they can barely drag themselves out of bed.
If you have trouble getting motivated, I can help.
· First, I will listen closely and without judgment to understand your experience from the inside out. I will ask questions to see when and how your motivational difficulties arose.
· Next, we will look for possible triggers. I don’t believe we stop enjoying life for no reason. There is always a reason and together, we will get to the bottom of it.
· There could be something in your life today that is having a draining effect on you Perhaps there is a dynamic at your job that is wearing you down. Sometimes, we tolerate a lot before realizing the toll it is taking. Maybe you are in an unsatisfying or even an abusive relationship. This can easily sap your energy.
· Motivational difficulties can also come from your childhood. This is often the most confusing circumstance. People will describe waking up in a state where they simply don’t want to get out of bed, go to work, see other people. They just want to pull the covers up over their head and hide. This kind of motivational issue almost always stem from the past.
· And, finally, your motivational problems may be due to a lack of self-confidence or self-esteem. For example, it’s hard to get motivated to try something new if you don’t trust your ability to succeed. Similarly, it’s hard to get motivated to pursue what you really want if, down deep, you don’t feel like you deserve it.
· Whatever the cause, we will get to the bottom of it and I will help you to reconnect with your internal motivating force.